Freedom to Operate Search, also known as Clearance Search or Right to use search is performed to check and identify whether any in-force patents or published patent applications with claims that cover the technology, process, or product the inventor is targeting.
Simply, it is used to ascertain the freedom to operate the invention in a particular jurisdiction from a legal point of view that the product or process utilized or carried out by the inventor is not infringing on any live patent’s claim.
If during the FTO search the invention to be operated is located on a live patent then the inventor may:
- Not proceed with the invention
- Invalidate the relevant patent
- Apply for a license for the relevant patent
- Buy the relevant patent technology
Why conduct FTO Search?
- To identify potential patent barriers and uncover licensing needs in commercializing the products or/and technologies.
- To know countries where the patent can be applied.
- To map out the technical field of the products, technologies, or processes.
- To conduct patent infringement risk assessments, assess the competitors in the same field.
- To evaluate the potential for “new”
Before the commercialization of any product/technology, it is essential to conduct a due diligence process to examine the claims of in-force patents as a means of assessing your risk of potential infringement. Thus, an FTO search/ Clearance Search is conducted to locate any granted and alive (in-force) patents or patent applications ensuring that the desired product can be pitched in a specific market (jurisdiction) without infringing or violating anyone’s intellectual property rights within that particular region/country.
- In-force patents
- Published pending patent applications
- An exhaustive search on patent databases based on
- Keywords based Searching,
Classification based Searching- CPC, IPC, USC, F-terms (For Japanese Patents),
Citation Search, Family Search and Semantic Search
FTO Search Reports
The search reports have detailed analysis of the relevant records in
- Word Report Format
- Excel Report Format
We provide customized patent validation or validity Search reports as per client’s requirement. We aim at delivering your search results in a customized format ranging from a full report to a comparative feature matrix, verbal report, or any other delivery mechanism as requested by the client.
Turn Around Time – 4-10 days
So when launching your product in the market conduct the Freedom to operate search or Clearance by professional. Contact us to get in touch with our experts for professional advice.
To Request Sample, Fill in the details below